Since 2018 I have been writing, or reading affirmations to myself daily.
I'm not sure who will read this. But I wanted it to be archived, for my own benefit.
The inspiration came from a book that Jo read and... didn't really like. But the theory of affirmations is that in order to become someone different, we have to visualise ourselves as being that different person.
Affirmations, or daily recital of goals, is the first step along this journey.
The affirmations started as a simple list of how I wanted my life to be. I thought: what's important to me? Where do I want to get to? These were my goals.
In the beginning of 2018, I began writing down every day that my goals were:
- Learn 7-10 more languages
- Traverse every continent
- Have a well-rounded family with well-educated children
- Master a suite of skills in adventure sports, martial arts and dance
- Have a fleet of adventure vehicles on tap
- Get to epic fitness levels, with a 'total' of 1100 lbs and ripped (even in suboptimal lighting...)
- Have bases in three continents (Australia, Asia & Europe)
Sounds great already. But as I wrote them down over the course of the year a few things changed:
- The list got longer!
- The list became more about other people than myself. For example, I noted along the way that I really wanted to spend more time with people I loved, and with my family. I'd orient my life around that.
- I introduced character type goals. For example, being known as someone trustworthy.
This is where the affirmations got to by the end of the year. They're static in their present form. I'm not really sure about the family part, but why not.
I will have a great attitude
- I am a positive person. I can do anything.
- I always focus my time and do the hard things first.
- I remain calm and happy in high-stress situations.
- I am disciplined, tidy and organised, and an effective planner.
I will behave like a superhuman
- I am extremely fit, hitting athlete-levels of fitness through sheer willpower.
- I speak sixteen languages and learn them easily, remembering everything.
- I am reliable and 100% trustworthy.
- I meditate and am present and focused.
- I am always in control of what I eat, say and do.
- I am a solid sleeper. I can sleep anywhere.
I will work honestly and make millions doing it
- I help others through my business and life.
- I have 100% integrity, and always do what I know to be right.
- I make multiple millions a year through online business and passive income. I build profitable businesses easily.
I will learn and achieve many things
- I have mastered a range of martial arts, skills and dance through years of practise.
- I have, through training, developed an excellent short- and long-term memory.
- I have traversed every continent.
- I live near nature and go camping regularly.
- I have a full garage of motorcycles, adventure vehicles and gear, and use them regularly.
- I have a full home in three continents and spend time with my family in all of them.
I will have nourishing relationships
- I regularly see my closest friends and family.
- I have a well-rounded family with cute, good children who are proud of me.